Sunday, October 16, 2011

Artist Alexa Meade's Altered Reality

Last night I attended the opening of "You Are Here: Washington D.C." art show at the Dorian Grey Gallery in New York. One talent who really amazed and impressed me was Alexa Meade, a young installation artist from Washington D.C. At first glance, I thought her paintings of different characters showed real depth and was very "nice" for lack of a better word, and was ready to move on. But when I noticed in other pieces the subject was interacting with a real human or another painted subject shown against a real live setting rather than a painted canvas, I was really blown away. I had no idea that Meade's subjects were actually real live people who she painted on top of to give the illusion of a fully painted piece of art. Once you realize that these are actual live subjects, you can note a hint of realness in their eyes and maybe hair. This exhibition is available until November 13th if you are in the area and are interested in checking it out. There are many other noteworthy artists at this exhibition as well. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment